Colac Primary school
Here at Colac Primary School we aim to encourage and develop positive attitudes towards lifelong health and physical activity. To implement our PE program we have access to excellent facilities such as our full size stadium, football oval, outside basketball court and mini rings. Other facilities within walking distance to the school that have been used are the Colac Lawn Tennis Club and Botanic Gardens.
We also have a range of equipment that ensures a variety of exciting new experiences each session. Various lunch time and after school coaching/sporting programs are also offered throughout the year.
All students in Grade Prep to 2 at our school are taught the basic locomotor and non-locomotor skills such as rolling, balancing, sliding, jogging, running, leaping, jumping, hopping, dodging, galloping and skipping. Object control skills such as bouncing, throwing, catching, kicking and striking are also incorporated into our sessions.
Students in Grades 3 to 6 continue to build on these skills through ‘game sense’ units whereby they start to perform these skills under pressure in a range of sports and ‘skills based’ games.
Colac Primary also offers a range of extracurricular/interschool sporting opportunities. These include:
- Perceptual Motor Program (PMP) which is a movement based program which helps our Prep students improve their eye/hand and eye/foot coordination, fitness, balance, locomotion and eye-tracking skills.
- House sporting events such as Athletics, Cross Country and Jump Rope for Heart are held annually.
- Incursions and Sports Clinics with local sporting talent from the area.
- Representative sport such as Athletics and Cross Country carnivals, Lightning Premiership Football, Netball and Soccer, T-20 Cricket, Lawn Bowls etc
- Other sports/learning programs such as Ride2School Day, Bike Education, Swimming and Jump Rope for Heart are done on a consistent basis, whereby students learn skills to be used outside of school and later in life.
Lastly but not least, students also learn the importance of individual health and health promotion. This is taught both in Physical Education and in the classroom. We focus on Sun Protection, Safe Environments, Mental Health and Wellbeing, Healthy Eating, Oral Health and significance of getting enough exercise.